[sword-devel] Convert markup in all modules to OSIS?

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:47:12 +0100

> Well, why not keep the main code and the import/export code strictly
> separate? By doing so the number of possible bugs in the maincode will

> reduce. I know programmers don't like that way of arguing (in my job
> as Software Architect I face that problem day-by-day), but if done
> that way, the resultcode is much more stable (lesser bugs), and easier

> to maintaince.

>Every project has code that is more central and code that is less
central
>to a given person's needs.  Since Sword is a library for 3rd party
>development, we still need to provide functionality for import/export.
We
>also can't just dump support for something like other sourcetypes
because
>of those projects that still use them and because it would force us to
>make every user update every module they have installed upon upgrading
>a new version of Sword.

>I guess another good reason not to move to OSIS right now is that we
still
>don't have the OSIS filters themselves finished, and those that are
>done haven't really been tested.

You're right, just 2 things I did overlook..

> Well, sounds interesting. But, as far as I know, all marking up that
> is possible in HTML/GBS can be converted to OSIS (correct me if I'm
> wrong). I am currently writing a program what can do extensive
> converting. So, if you can give me a list of modules which don't
> convert with the tool you're using, maybe I can convert them for
> you...

>Yup, you're wrong.  :)  OSIS does a great job when it comes to most
>basic markup.  That's all that OSIS Core was charged with handling.

>Presentation markup, such as we have in some ThML modules that use
>extensive HTML (e.g. JFB, MHC, and CathEn if it were available), is not

>handled very much by OSIS Core.  You can do some things with
stylesheets,
>and other stuff through non-standard extensions, but it would be better
>wait for the OSIS Presentation module.

Ah, any idea when the OSIS Presentation module will be finished?

> Well, I have not yet read the OSIS-documtentation about references
> deeply. The only thing I couldn't find about reference-tags was
> linking to a multiple verses, like Psa 1:1-3 or Psa 1:1,2. Maybe you
> know how to do that in OSIS?

<reference osisRef="Bible:Ps.1.1-Ps.1.3"/> marks the first of these.
You can do the same style for the second, but for a non-contiguous set,
like Ps 1:1,3, you would have to split it into two tags: <reference
osisRef="Bible:Ps.1.1"/><reference osisRef="Bible:Ps.1.3"/>

Thanks!

>I don't think the limited documentation is very clear on this at all.
>think you would have to interpret the regex pattern for osisRef to
glean
>this.  Better documentation is on the way, though, I believe.

Ah, sounds good. Thanks for the info btw!

With kind regards,

Simon