[sword-devel] accented greek text

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:29:12 +0200

Hi Anton,

The easiest way to add accents to a Greek text is to synchronize (a program
for synchronizing can easely be written) the accents from a digital Greek
text that already has accents (as far as I know the NA27 is the only one),
then you only have to check the passages that differ (the NA27 has some
minor differences with the MT/TR) for accents. I only think that isn't
completely legal, for the NA27 is copyrighted...

Another possibility is to take a printed version of a (non-copyrighted)
greek text (for example: The Expositors Greek Testament, Nicoln, has an
accented Textus Receptus), and add all the accent of the printed text to the
electronic text, but that's a lot of manual work...

So, what needs to be done is:
- Convert the text you want to add accents to, to OSIS (can be easely done
with the mod2osis util)
- Add the accents to the greek words with your favourite editor
- Ask someone here at the mailinglist to create a Sword module from your
OSIS file

Oh, and don't forget to think about the copyright, do you want to make your
accented text available for free for all people for all purposes (Public
Domain), or do you want to restrict the use of your text (copyright)?

With kind regards,

Simon