[sword-devel] Sword Atlas

Mark Ayliffe sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:52:48 +0100

Victor Porton wrote:
> On 21-Jul-2003 Rebekah Ayliffe wrote:

Humble apologies moderator for this. I picked the wrong email account by
mistake.

>> OK, 3 months on, if anyone is still interested, I've put a couple of
>> samples
>> of my first scan of my old Matthew Henry maps on a web site. The
>> index page
>> is at: http://www.ayliffe.org/mhenry.htm Be careful the images are
>> very large. If you're paying for bandwidth by the minute or the MB,
>> these are not
>> for you. If anyone is still interested and would care to offer some
>> guidelines on how better to format these, then please go ahead. My
>> more
>
> For a beginning have you've tried to convert from your image format
> to .png and to .jpeg (not forgetting to turn on maximal compression
> levels!)

Ah, sorry, I see I wasn't clear enough. The index page has links to (and
descriptions of) each image. If you visit it, you will find that I have
indeed made JPEG and PNG images. I have certainly not used maximum
compression as that hits quality too much, but I have twiddled it a bit on
the JPEG so that (IMO) quality is not compromised greatly from the original.

> Wouldn't it make image files reasonably small?

Not in my opinion. The scanned BMP is 5MB, the PNG is just over 2.5MB, the
JPEG is just over 0.5MB.

> Well, this would be only a temporary partial solution. A vector
> graphics format is needed.

If you look at the pictures you'll realise that this isn't a good place to
start. However if someone feels it might be worth pursuing, I'll track down
a raster-to-vector tool and give it a go.

Mark