[sword-devel] OSIS 1.5 / OSIS Editor

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:41:34 -0700

Simon wrote:
> OSIS is XML, so it has a document structure inside. I don't know if the
> tools you mention can handle that, without the user having to type the
> structure tags...
>
> My idea is to show the document structure in a Tree (just like a bookmodule
> in Sword). Also I want to make pre-defined trees for editing a
> biblecommmentary etc.

okay.  Smaller units like <divineName>, <hi>, or <reference> probably
shouldn't have their own tree nodes in a display.  I don't know whether
that was actually your plan or not, but watch out because there can be
many more elements in a document than would be reasonable to display in
a tree structure.

> Also I don't want the user to type in any tag by theirself, neither do they
> have to see any tag. It has to work just like a word processor, not like a
> XML edit tool.

There's a difference between being forced to type in tags manually
(which is bad for a user-friendly editor like you're trying to make) and
a user being allowed to type tags in manually (which is good for a
user-friendly editor aimed at users whose abilities will gradually
increase).  Dreamweaver and most other HTML editors have a nice dual
display UI that lets users work either in a rendered text window (like a
word processor) or a raw XML text window (for fine-grained editing).

> Another thing that would be different when using another Edit program, is
> building in the possibility to test the text-references. What I want, is
> that if a user clicks a text-reference, the Sword API is called, and the
> text where it has a reference to, is shown in a popup...

Sword is a bit far from being able to handle OSIS references.  We can
handle the OT/NT Bible references only.  Apocrypha and non-Biblical
references still need to be handled, though some of the non-Biblical
stuff is pretty close and just needs more hooks via private protocol and
linking internal to the Sword frontends.

--Chris