[sword-devel] OSIS 1.5 / OSIS Editor

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:57:40 +0200

> Also, it would be cool to have something platform-independent
> (java/wxwindows/gtk).

I do agree, but there are some reason's why I have chosen for C#:
- I want to learn C# (I have already experience with C and C++, but not C#)
- There's a very good IDE available for free (C# Builder Personal), with
good debugging options, and easy GUI design, which isn't for Java, wxwindows
or gtk
- .NET is ported to at least linux (go mono), and maybe to the MAC also

> > Have you considered using an established tool (say JEdit or
> Arachnophilia)
> > and just coding for the tags?

OSIS is XML, so it has a document structure inside. I don't know if the
tools you mention can handle that, without the user having to type the
structure tags...

My idea is to show the document structure in a Tree (just like a bookmodule
in Sword). Also I want to make pre-defined trees for editing a
biblecommmentary etc.

Also I don't want the user to type in any tag by theirself, neither do they
have to see any tag. It has to work just like a word processor, not like a
XML edit tool.

Another thing that would be different when using another Edit program, is
building in the possibility to test the text-references. What I want, is
that if a user clicks a text-reference, the Sword API is called, and the
text where it has a reference to, is shown in a popup...

> I too am interested in an OSIS editor and will work with you as possible.
> I have experience with VB and a little Java only, so probably cannot help
> with coding.

Thanks for the offer. But, C# is very easy to learn if you have JAVA
experience (the language don't really differ). And, you can download C#
Builder for free
(http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_csharpbuilder.html).

In Christ,

Simon