[sword-devel] free Windows compiler for SWORD

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:30:42 -0700

> Why not add a simple edit function in Sword itself, with just some simple
> functions, like font-properties and text-references, something like E-Sword
> has.

Are you offering to work on it? ;)  We do have a commentary editor in
the windows software, and I believe the linux apps have this feature, as
well.  The API supports a write interface that most module drivers
implement, so the frontend developers are welcome to add editing
featured into their software.  A few problems:

Commentaries created with the Personal Commentary module in BibleCS keep
the editor's markup, which is RTF-- which sucks and not what a module
should use.  As Chris stated, it is display oriented markup and not
appropriate for anything other than displaying back to the same device
size/user preference with which it was written.

We also do NOT want to allow GENERAL editing in the sword tool for
ethical reasons.  If someone decides they want to incorrectly change
John 1:1 in the NASB from "and the Word was God" to "and the Word was a
God", just because they can click and modify, it poses copyright
problems for us.  Placing editable works copyrighted by other
individuals in front of our end users is not something I feel we want to
do.  There is nothing that can be done to physically prevent a user from
making and publishing such a change, but our software shouldn't lend
itself to making it anything other than a premeditated purposeful
circumvention of copyright.  99% of our users want a readonly tool, save
  a personal commentary editor.  I'm under the persuasion that an
editing tool should be a separate piece of software.

Thanks for these suggestions and the others below.

	-Troy.

  Then users can easily add their own content without all conversion