[sword-devel] free Windows compiler for SWORD

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:27:49 -0700

Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:06, Chris Little wrote:
>
>>And it nonetheless stands; Linux users who don't know how to compile
>>for themselves need to learn (or move back to Windows).
>

> Or, to read this another way, if you're an _administrator_ instead of a
> user, compiling should be no problem. Users of the dolly-bird-secretary
> or rough-n-tough-farmhand variety shouldn't need to know. "Just because
> you can" is not the same as "you should".

Ok, let me put it this way.  If you don't know how to compile on Linux,
that probably means you were too lazy to read the documentation or are
not sufficiently technical to follow it.  Both of these situations
suggest a very high likelihood that I don't want your module
contribution anyway.  Why?  Because it will require more work from me to
fix it than it took for you to make it in the first place and in all
probability we would have all been better off if I'd just done it myself
in the first place.  In other words, if not having the tools (or not
being able to compile them) had prevented you from making a module, it
would have saved everyone a lot of work.

This is not to say that I am not appreciative of the quality work that
many people have contributed, but you'll note that most of these people
have had technical hurdles to surmount before they could contribute.
The simplification of the module import process allows the masses to
make really bad content.  I don't think that's what we're looking for.

Aside from this, module makers should typically be working from CVS
since the tools are updated frequently.  As soon as 1.5.6 goes out the
door and I find some time, the xml import tools are going to get a
revamp.  If you're not able to compile for yourself, you're not using
current tools.

--Chris