[sword-devel] Unicode enabled winsword

Steve Tang sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 05:52:09 -0700 (MST)

> I've added an option in the preferences to change the 'User
> interface' font. That will change what font is used in comboboxes and
> text entry.

Please let this be an option, instead of having multiple binaries for
different languages, if possible. Reasons if you're interested:
* There are native speakers who prefer to not see any English at all
* There are the immigrants like me who use English Windows (I get lost
with Chinese translations of things like file, edit, etc.) Yet inside I
think in Chinese, I recite my familiar verses in Chinese.
* A lot of people still use Chinese Windows which is not compatible with
unicode. Sword & its Chinese modules still work in that environment. But
I've found that overseas Chinese are more likely to help out on utf-8
things, while the home boys work with their out-dated environment,
unfortunately.

> On Win9x the same exe can be used but any non-Latin script will be
> displayed as '????'. For non-English windows - sword locales can
> still be made for the appropriate codepage.

I used to have a win95 machine on which Sword worked fine.

> Also, a question for non-English users, or those working on non-
> English stuff. Does it make more sense for the module name to be
> displayed in:
> (1)English
> (2)the language of the module
> (3)the language of the user

MHO, in preference order:
1) have (1) & (2), both as options.
2) have all as options. To me, (3) is not that important compared to (2).

Providing Chinese translations for 200 modules, to me, is not a lot of
work. So if we have something like 'title_cn=...' in the .conf files which
only works when the user chose a certain option.

> 1 is generally what we have at the moment.
> 2 might not display on win9x, but could have a fallback of English
> 3 would be a lot of work for translators since there are a lot of
> modules

Does anyone know how to unicodize the personal module editor? That would
be really helpful.