[sword-devel] Copyrights and derivative works

Daniel Russell sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:00:15 -0800

>The quotes don't need to be whole verses.  You can't copyright individual
>words, but a concordance contains every word (or at least far beyond fair
>use coverage).  Whether they explicitly state the context or not (by
>quoting the whole verse, e.g.) context is easily reconstructed.

They rarely contain every word. They usually only contain non-mundane
words. This is not enough to reconstruct the text.
Besides this, the words are utterly out of the text order.

How about i sue a bunch of authors that use English because their works
contain all the word (albeit out order) that are in my copyrighted work?

The trademark is really the issue here i think.

Why don't you make a concordance called "NOIV Concordance" that stands
for "Not Old Internation Versional"? You can have a link to a webpage
explaining that this is not the NIV but a concordance to a "similar"
translation. That way you can circumvent the whole absurdity. :P