[sword-devel] Copyrights and derivative works

Matthew Donadio sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:53:40 -0500

Joel Mawhorter wrote:
> While the topics of copyrights and derivative works are fresh on everyone's
> mind I thought I would ask a question. Does anyone know what the U.S. laws
> are regarding producing a derative work based on a copyrighted work? For
> example, could I create a NIV concordence without the permission of the IBS?

I'm not sure if this clears things up, but if you read the NIV copyright
page, they specificially state that commentaries and reference works
based on the NIV for commercial purposes require written premission from
the publisher.

--
Matthew Donadio (m.p.donadio@ieee.org)