[sword-devel] Sword license

Jimmie Houchin sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:30:33 -0600

Chris Little wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>>I do fully desire to be able to use OSIS documents.
>>
>>To me Sword project is the most open Bible software availalbe.
>>This is why I chose this project.
>>
>>Texts wise, what would I miss out on by going an OSIS route?
>>Would there be documents unavailable, but available via Sword?
>>Would the Sword Modules (not libs) offer features not available via OSIS?
>
> I'm not sure how we will go about releasing Sword modules as OSIS
> documents, but I suspect a lot of our stuff will get released.  Things
> that won't get released as OSIS docs would include most copyrighted
> texts.  The very beginnings of our repository are at
> http://www.bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/docs/ currently but I imagine
> someone else will run a better site for this sort of thing.
>
> There's nothing that the modules themselves will provide that OSIS
> doesn't, aside from compression and some indexing.  The libraries
> themselves offer features like toggling display of certain items and
> transliteration, but these are easy to reproduce/unnecessary.

That sounds well and reasonable.

I really don't care about copyrighted texts to which the owners won't
give permission for usage. As long as the value of the program doesn't
suffer due to lack of available texts, except those due to copyright
issues, I'll be happy.

UI features like toggling display, etc... I can handle.

Hopefully these texts will have reasonable distribution/redistribution
terms. It would be nice to be able to create a CD and potentially a website.

Thanks again.

Jimmie Houchin