[sword-devel] Sword license

Joe Walker sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:14:14 +0000

My understanding is that all the GPL obliges you to do is release the
code under GPL. It does not stop you releasing it under the GPL AND
another MIT/BSD style license (so long as there is no ad. clause conflict)
Many projects like Mozilla and MySQL (IIRC) are released under 2 licences.

So if there are questions of copyright polution as a result of reading
JSword code, you may well be able to dual license. However IANAL of course.

I don't understand how there can be a problem for GPL code to link *TO*
non-GPL code. The GPL uses the word "derived" and not "linked" and the
standard copyright definition of "derived works" is a very one way process.
So I don't understand people that claim you can't have a GPL Java
program because it has to link to non-GPL code. It sounds like Squeak
might be the same.

However this might be getting a bit off topic.

Joe.