[sword-devel] Re: [sword-devel]Squeak Sword UI

Jimmie Houchin sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:05:57 -0600

Chris Little wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>>You mean I can't reverse engineer them from the text markup itself?
>
> You can try, but you will probably fail.  It's not markup that poses a
> problem.  The markup is just other people's standards that we make use of.
> The problem is reading the binary indexes and following them from one
> index into another index or another part of the same index (repeating as
> necessary) and finally into the data, possibly needing to decrypt,
> possibly needing to decompress along the way.  Now repeat for all of the
> different categories of modules we support and each different format of
> module in that category.

Thanks for sharing this information.
If you don't mind I would like to ask a few more questions to continue
my education. :)

I am not understanding the need of reading the binary indexes. If I can
read the text and produce the text appropriately for the frontend to
render to the user, then why do I need the indexes? Can't I create my
own indexes based off the text?

> Learning C++ and reading the code will be simpler and faster, not to
> mention some aspects like decrypting (which I grant you may choose not to
> support) and decompression (which you must support if you want to support
> any module released or updated in the last year and a half) would be quite
> impossible without using the code we use as a basis.  (I'd imagine Squeak
> has some kind of zlib functionality included, but our files aren't simply
> zips.)

I probably can read some C++ and possibly enough to understand what the
functions/methods do. It has been awhile since I've messed with C++. So
as long as don't have to remember about pointers and such. :)

Squeak can support multiple compression formats.

>>The Java frontend, does it use the Sword libraries or will there be Java
>>code for reading Sword modules?
>
> JSword is implementing routines to read Sword modules natively in Java.
> I don't know their progress, but it's a big task.  There's also an
> advantage in porting from C++ to Java in that the two are similar enough
> that porting is made simpler and (if nothing else) someone who can write
> Java can probably read C++ reasonably well.  (I know that's a BIG
> assumption of Java programmers--no offense to the JSword team, just Troy.)

Possibly so, but theres no pointers in Java.
At least thats what they say. :)
No memory management anyway.

>>It is quite possible I am underestimating the task of reading/parsing
>>Sword modules. I thought the modules/text/rawtext/***/ot
>>modules/text/rawtext/***/nt were simply text files which the Sword
>>libraries parsed to create what was sent to the front end.
>
> With the possible exception of RawLD, RawText is the simplest file format.
> It's not much challenge to write a driver to read this, but as I mentioned
> above, nothing is released in this format and any time a module is updated
> it is released in zText format.  Some day when I get a free weekend, I'll
> convert everything out of RawText and into zText--or more likely into OSIS
> marked zText to kill two birds with one stone.
>
> Even RawText is more complex than most people who open the files up
> assume.  The verse ordering within them is arbitrary and there is no
> indication of where one verse begins and another ends.  (This latter fact
> is not so important for Bibles since it's usually pretty easy to tell that
> verses break at a newline.)  The .vss files associated with each ot/nt
> file are ordered according to the order of canon and they indicate the
> location and length of each verse record.
>
> Simply supporting RawText would provide a decent proof of concept, but
> if you're only supporting Sword modules because of the existing library of
> books then it isn't optimal to only support a quickly disappearing segment
> of that library of books.

Ok. I haven't looked at any ztext modules. I didn't understand why we
had rawtext and ztext. I looked at the rawtext because thats where the
KJV is.

I want whatever I do to be future capable. If it is more difficult than
I currently know to read Sword Modules directly, then I'll just
interface them (Sword libs) in a plugin or FFI. That's how Squeak gets
some of its capabilities. So it isn't a foreign thing. If I go that
route, I'll just have to hope that on any new platform for the Squeak
Sword frontend that someone can compile the plugin and libs.

If I understand correctly, at some point in the future there will be no
rawtext directory? That could change the picture significantly. Then I
could definitely see the need for viewing source (C++).

Thanks again for your help.

Jimmie Houchin