[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:24:21 -0700

At 09:46 AM 1/16/2003 +0000, Martin Gruner wrote:
> > Turning on and off red letters may just be
> > "presentation," (changing color only), but in theory it could be changing
> > from "saying" these are the words of Jesus," (red), to "maybe these are the
> > words of Jesus," (black).
>
>Not really. It is changing between "highlight the words of Jesus according to
>the Author of this work" and "do not highlight the words of Jesus according
>to the Author of this work".

Consider Rev. 16:15. Some red-letter editions have it in red, but some
red-letter editions have it in black. If it is red in a red-letter edition
it is apparently the words of Jesus. If it is black in a red-letter edition
it is apparently not the words of Jesus. Either way, if you turn
red-lettering off it becomes, you determine by context or what have you.
(Not that our confusion or editorializing can change who really said what).

>There is no doctrinal filter in sword, and there will be none.

I agree with that philosophy, but it was suggested by another that there
should be no philosophies stopping the addition of features that give users
power. That opinion was stated unconditionally. I am just pointing out that
we need philosophies that set some limits. As I said before I really don't
care about red-lettering. That was just how this topic got started by
others. However, why not blue-letter all the words and phrases that are
mistranslated?  Or better yet, provide a toggle to toggle translation error
correcting on or off. :-) Perhaps we would need to be more careful than
those making red-lettering, and copyright holders may not like it, but it
would give the user power.

Jerry