[sword-devel] Re: [sword-devel]Squeak Sword UI

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:33:04 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 porton@narod.ru wrote:

> > On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 porton@narod.ru wrote:
> >
> > Similar to what others have suggested, you might think of just doing an
> > OSIS reader and not try to read Sword modules.  There are quite a few of
> > them and you'll need to be quite familiar with C++ in order to understand
> > the code that reads/writes them.
>
> I recently have tried several XML readers. All are slow. OSIS files for
> Bibles are big. So in any case there are need to convert to an other
> format than just XML OSIS.

Like I proposed that we might do for Sword, he could consider building
indexes into the OSIS XML files.  It would be relatively simple to build
an index that catalogues the start and end point of each identified
osisID, for example.  This would mean you only had to read from the OSIS
file that portion you wanted to display.  (This is a very simplified case
I realize.)

--Chris