[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:35:34 -0500

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 11:09 pm, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
> I was joking and being sarcastic. Traditionally, English translations have
> followed the LXX in rendering YHWH as "the Lord" (in Greek, hO KURIOS).
> Personally, I find this practice rather silly. What is the point of having
> a "literal" translation when you are going to make such a major change to
> half the Bible?  (For an example of a place where this is just idiotic,
> look at the NASB.  Most literal? I think not.)

And the LXX renders YHWH as "the Lord" (hO KURIOS) because when Jews read the
hebrew text they say Adonai (which means Lord) rather than YHWH. Which is one
reason no one is really sure how to pronounce that particular hebrew word.
Because of the command to not take the Lord's name in vain, Jews say Adonai
so as to avoid the possiblility of doing so.

> So far as I know, the only major English translation to translate YHWH
> literally is the New Jerusalem (and, I suppose, the Jerusalem Bible as
> well.)

Other minor translations that do this, the WEB (and of course the HNV), and
the RNKJV.