[sword-devel] Quick Qwestion

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:02:01 -0700 (MST)

On 11 Jan 2003, Chad Snow wrote:

> How many formats does sword support?  As I read this mailing list I see
> mention of GBF, XSEM, SF, STEP, OSIS and many more.  What are the
> formats that sword supports and which is the best to use for the future?

Sword really supports only its own data file format (which is really a set
of many different formats for different kinds of books).  However, for
import and internal markup of texts, we support plaintext, GBF, ThML, and
OSIS to some degree or another.

Of those, OSIS is probably the most capable (excepting ThML for its
display formatting abilities due to inheritence of ~XHTML).  All our texts
will be moved into OSIS format shortly and it will be the format from
which GBF, ThML, HTML, RTF, etc. are derived for display or export from
Sword.

There is an importer (that may or may not work at the moment) for ThML
format, but this will be easily converted to work with OSIS.

Some day we might support reading STEP natively (rather than as an import
format) but that day is not quite here.

So for marking up texts, I would suggest OSIS.

--Chris