[sword-devel] For ALL On The List: Copyright Considerations, What do you think?

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:46:57 -0000

Hi Jonathan :)
I'm not sure that that solution is complete. IANAL so I don't know if
it would be required or sufficient to exempt Crosswire for any
liability for misuse of the modules but it makes sense to force
people to read the rights granted and click an 'I agree' button
before they are allowed to download them whether through the web page
or through installmgr.

I guess just displaying that info on the ModInfo.jsp with an 'I
agree' button to download would do it.

I don't know if that would help educate people or if people would
just click through blah blah ;)

Even if we did that people could still download the modules directly
from the ftp site so I don't know if anything needs doing there.

(Modules with full unrestricted rights should still be downloadable
without having to click through though it might be nice to let people
know their rights with those modules anyway).

Another thing that is possible but probably overkill is some kind of
flag in the conf file to say whether it can be used on a website or
not. Diatheke and the perl or php bindings could check that flag and
refuse to display it. (It would be easy to get around so probably
wouldn't be worth it but otoh it would force people to actively
modify the software or modules to get around it)

Regards,
Daniel

On 9 Jan 2003 at 22:46, Jonathan Hughes sent forth the message: