[sword-devel] Sword, PHP, and PostNuke

Rev. Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:30:23 +1000

--=====================_132687955==_.ALT

At 23:39 08-01-03 -0500, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
>I was wondering... I am a bit concerned by this lack (since I am not a big
>fan of KJV and am a big fan of the apocrypha - at least for research). Would
>there be an interest in a new file format to overcome the numbering/naming
>limitations?  I might be willing to put some time into it if there were.

Yes. I would like to see a format that:

1. Directly supports any reasonable versification (i. e. M-Text/WEB, NA/UBS, NIV, KJV, REB, etc.) for both the OT/NT Canon and the DC/Apocrypha.
2. Supports verse bridges (i. e. two or more verses translated as a unit without a clear indication of where one stops and the other starts) -- necessary for the Tok Pisin Bible and many others.
3. Supports proper poetry and prose formatting. (It amazes me how many people mangle these and see no value in them!)
4. Is open and easy to convert existing texts to and from.
5. Supports partial Bible texts (i. e. for Bible translations in progress).
6. Supports interlinear texts.
7. Supports footnotes, cross-references, and commentary notes (both editable personal notes and read-only notes by others). (Commentary should be in a separate file.)

Compression and even compactness are not essential. Speed of access is important. Indexing can help do that, but it should be done such that an index can be built on-the-fly if it doesn't exist.

Rev. Michael Paul Johnson
Servant of Jesus Christ
President, Rainbow Missions, Inc.
Senior Editor, World English Bible
http://eBible.org/mpj/   mpj@eBible.org
Phone: 011+675+737-4519
SIL BOX 421
UKARUMPA 444
EASTERN HIGHLANDS PROVINCE
PAPUA NEW GUINEA

--=====================_132687955==_.ALT

concerned by this lack (since I am not a big<br>
fan of KJV and am a big fan of the apocrypha - at least for research).
Would<br>
there be an interest in a new file format to overcome the
numbering/naming<br>
limitations?&nbsp; I might be willing to put some time into it if there
Yes. I would like to see a format that:<br><br>
1. Directly supports any reasonable versification (i. e. M-Text/WEB,
NA/UBS, NIV, KJV, REB, etc.) for both the OT/NT Canon and the
DC/Apocrypha.<br>
2. Supports verse bridges (i. e. two or more verses translated as a unit
without a clear indication of where one stops and the other starts) --
necessary for the Tok Pisin Bible and many others.<br>
3. Supports proper poetry and prose formatting. (It amazes me how many
people mangle these and see no value in them!)<br>
4. Is open and easy to convert existing texts to and from.<br>
5. Supports partial Bible texts (i. e. for Bible translations in
progress).<br>
6. Supports interlinear texts.<br>
7. Supports footnotes, cross-references, and commentary notes (both
editable personal notes and read-only notes by others). (Commentary
should be in a separate file.)<br><br>
Compression and even compactness are not essential. Speed of access is
important. Indexing can help do that, but it should be done such that an
index can be built on-the-fly if it doesn't exist.<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Servant of Jesus Christ<br>
President, Rainbow Missions, Inc.<br>
Senior Editor, World English Bible<br>