[sword-devel] Error in Frebj Module

Pham, Khoi sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:32:39 -0600

I was testing the beta module Frebj and found that NT was OK, but OT did not work.

Paul Pham

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Little [mailto:chrislit@crosswire.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 5:21 PM
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Sword v1.5.5a

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, David's Mailing List and Spam Receiver wrote:

> BDB and Thayer *are* pd works. We just need to find a format that isn't
> derived from olb. Perhaps we can find out where crosswalk.com got theirs from
> that they used to create their lexicons. Also they used other PD works that
> we don't have.
>
> Their hebrew lexicon page says,
> "The Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon is Brown, Driver, Briggs, Gesenius Lexicon;
> this is keyed to the "Theological Word Book of the Old Testament." These
> files are considered public domain."
>
> And the greek lexicon page,
> "The New Testament Greek Lexicon based on Thayer's and Smith's Bible
> Dictionary plus others; this is keyed to the large Kittel and the
> "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament." These files are public
> domain."
>
> Chances are we can find sources for these that don't have the olb restrictions
> on them.

I don't know where CrossWalk got their information, perhaps from the same
source as we got our data originally, but they're wrong.

These modules are not what they are claiming (and consequently we
believed them) to be.  They're just conglomerations of mess from Larry
Pierce and his co-conspirators.  They in fact bear no resemblence to
either BDB or Thayer's (I finally checked printed editions of each).  Even
if we were given permission to distribute these, we probably would not.

Instead, we will improve the StrongsGreek and StrongsHebrew databases and
seek other works.

> Will the KJV2003 encompas hebrew at any point?

It already includes Strong's numbers I believe, but it lacks the kind of
detail provided in the GNT portion of the KJV2003 (morphology, 1:1 linking
between KJV & Hebrew, etc.).

--Chris