[sword-devel] How to start on a document?

Joachim Ansorg sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 23:59:40 +0100

Hi!

> I have been around on the mailinglist a while and have been over most (if
> not all) of the website but found it nearly impossible to find out how to
> actualy add something to the sword catalog.

> I have a HTML text for the "Heidelbergse Catechismus" with loads of links
> to the Scripture. My first questions are:
>
>  - In what category does it belong? And how can we make sure other people
> do not have to ask this question as well?

Do you mean if it should go into commentaries or general books?
I'd suggest using the general books, because it has a better structure for
texts which are not bible verse based.

>  - When I have rewritten the lot in thml (assuming that is the easiest
> path to go for someone pretty good in html xhtml and docbook sgml) how can
> I make a module out of it? Using the sword software for which I have
> created up-to-date RPM files as well.

Do you know how to program in perl?
Using Perl to convert HTML into a ThML based Sword module is an easy and fast
way.
Have a look at http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/swordmodule/index.jsp.

The tool to convert an IMP based file into a book module is called imp2gbs,
which is also available for Windows.
You have to bring the text into a format like:

$$$/Book/Chapter 1
ThML formatted text
on some
lines
$$$/Book/Chapter 2
Other text

The layout of the module.conf file is available at
http://sword.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Swordapi/ConfFileLayout

Joachim
--
Joachim Ansorg