[sword-devel] Accusations...

Mike & Amy Swanson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 01:50:31 -0600

This really upsets me.  Can't the Online Bible people just be grateful
that the Word of God is getting out without stooping to a "hall of
shame?"  I believe the shame rests on them in acting they way they are,
trying to discredit your work and ministry.  If they are so worried
about you "stealing" their work, I believe they have a heart issue that
they need to clear up with God.  If Jesus were walking the earth I don't
think He would care about a copyright and He certainly would not want
His children bickering over who had the rights to His words.  I believe
He would just say, "Go Ye," not "Go Ye but get My Father's permission
before you leave and if you can't get it, oh well, just forget the whole
thing."  I personally don't think that the Words of God should be
copyrighted anyway, not at all.  There are other ways for people to make
money, and I guess that's at the root of the whole "hall of shame"
thing.  It infringes on their money-making ability, at least that's how
I see it.  I think the KJV has the right idea.  After all, "Freely you
have received, freely give."  You cannot steal what is given for free.
I think your work is awesome and I personally am grateful for the
tremendous amount of effort you put into this ministry  (yes ministry!)
so that everyone can have free access to the Bible, in whatever
translation is needed, whatever platform they are on, with study helps,
easy to read and without having to be connected to the internet (or pay
for a CD first)  every time they want to read it.  I know that the
laborer is worthy of his hire, but I don't believe that God ever
intended for us to fight over His Word, especially when it comes to
money.  I say if people can get the Word of God for free, and they
should, then Praise God.  More people are getting close to God.  More
people are getting saved.   And if someone really wants to get
technical, I believe GOD is the original copyright owner, after all they
are HIS words!  I wonder - OLB says they are registered with the Library
of Congress... what did God have to say?  Did they ask Him as well?  Did
He just give one group permission to re-distribute His Words?  I don't
think so.  It's not just them, I realize lots of people and Bible
societies /publishers, etc.,  are worried about that precious
copyright... but when that happens, people lose their focus.  It's not
about who has the copyright... it's about doing God's will.  We are all
working to build GOD's kingdom, not man's!   Isn't the primary purpose
to get souls saved?!  And how will they know unless we preach?  Or in
this case, distribute His word?  Sorry if I got long winded on this and
I hope I didn't step on any toes.  This is my opinion.  I usually keep
quiet and don't have a lot to offer in this list, but I really wanted to
encourage you.  What you are doing is a fantastic thing, and I have a
hard time believing you would have "stolen" (even though I don't think
anyone can really steal God's Words!) from them anyway.  Don't let their
"hall of shame" discourage you and keep up the awesome work you are
doing SWORD team!  God Bless and you have my support.