[sword-devel] Web Interface - Customization

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:56:01 -0600

I've been asking around about web based Bible study tools. what people like,
don't like, want, need, wish for, etc. The biggest request I am hearing is
for customization. Since most of the online tools have the same content, the
thing that is most lacking across the board is customization and saved
preferences. They would like to set things like default translation(s),
number of search results per page, and how to display the verses.

For example:

 // (Hezekiah 1:1) Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetaur
// adipisicing elit,
// (Hezekiah 1:2) sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et
// dolore magna aliqua.
// (Hezekiah 1:3)Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation
// ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

or like this:

// Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetaur adipisicing elit, sed do
// eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut
// enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris
// nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. (Hezekiah 1:1-3)

The reason for multiple displays is that I am hearing that many people copy
and paste the text into their teaching/sermon notes. the first example is
good for online viewing, and the second is good for copying. I'm guessing
that the ability to save preferences across sessions will require a
user/login type of system where the preferences will be able to be saved in
a database. Is this doable?

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org