[sword-devel] Web Interface - Scripture Markup

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:52:44 -0600

I have some ideas on how the scripture mark-up for the web project should be
implemented, but I'm not sure I have all the basis covered. I'd like some
input from those who are familiar with the needs. Basically what I believe
we should do is semantically mark-up the verses and allow CSS to handle ALL
of the display. This way we do not have to worry with font sizes color, and
all that jazz at this time. This is what I am thinking, something like:

<h2>Chapter 1</h2>
        The text of the verse one.
        The text of the verse two.
        The text of the verse three.

The class names are negotiable.
The "section" div is equivalent to the paragraph for translations that
divide into paragraphs. Some translations then have actual "sections" placed
in by the editors/translators. Do we have modules with this information? If
so, we will probably need an extra class for that.

We could also markup each word with its Strongs number and a link.

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org