[sword-devel] New to the List

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 04:38:34 EST

--part1_f9.2a25486e.2b8c939a_boundary

ok, since I am also new to the list. Let me say something about myself.

My name is Frank Yung-Fong Tang. I usually use email address
ftang@netscape.com . I work for Netscape (and now part of AOL Time Waner)
since Sept 1995. Before that I work for Apple Computer (1992-1995), and
Institute for Information Industry, Taiwan, ROC (1989-1991), Chinese Army
(1987-1989).

My skills is in Internationalization. I work in this field for 14 years. I
had managed the "Text and Internationalization Engineering Group" for
Netscape Client developement from May 2000 till last Dec. Now I am back to
Principal software Engineer role. In my employement with Netscape, I first
build the Netscape 1.1i installer for Macintosh Japanese/French/German
version. In Netscape 2.0 time frame I work on internationalization features
in Mail and News and ensure the Mac version work for Chinese/Korean/Japanese.
I planed the Netscape UTF-8 support and roadmap when I work on the 2.0
version. In Netscape 3.0 time frame, I change the Mac/Window/Motif Java AWT
to display Chinese/Japanese/Korean Unicdoe charand make sure it work properly
to access data from HTML and display in Canvas as well as widget. In Netscape
4.0 time I mainly working on international IMAP4 and NNTP support. I toke
over the Window Unicode display code from the other window intl engineer. I
also help the developement of WebFont on Window platform. In the
Gecko/Mozilla developement, I start as the technical lead for
Internationalization features. I personally designed/implemented the Unicode
display code on Mac by using QuickDraw and ATSUI when ATSUI is still in very
bad shape. I wrote most of the Unicode converters in Gecko. I wrote the Line
breaker and Word breaker for Gecko. I arched the charset detector for Gecko.
I intergrated the META charset observer and charset detector to Gecko's
parser. I wrote most of the new CSS2 "list-style-type" functions for Gecko I
wrote the case conversion code for Gecko and intergrate it into the CSS
text-transform code in layout. I toke over the Asian Input Method support
work (Mac and Windows) from another engineer and change the prototype to
product.  I also kick off many collabration projects for Mozilla/Gecko,
including ask Sun Micro to work on Linux version's Input Method support,
printing support, ask Intel to enhance Chinese converters, ask individual
contributor to add Armenian, Georgian, HongKong charset supports. Ask IBM to
work on Bidi Support, etc.

When I work on Netscape 2.0 way back in late 1995, I also wrote a perl
version of Chinese Bible tool (currently <A HREF="http://people.netscape.com/ftang/BIBLE">
http://people.netscape.com/ftang/BIBLE</A> ) I can claim this is the first
Chinese Bible tool on internet because this is THE test cases Netscape use to
test Chinese support before we ship our first version which support Chinese
(Netscape 2.0). It probably is also the first Internet Bible tool since it is
also used to test the FRAMESET support before we ship Netscaep 2.0. I won't
claim it is the first ever Bible tool on Internet.

Before joined Netscape, I work for Apple. I work on the Unicode converter
during 1995. That project later became the Text Encoding Converter.

When I work for III in Taiwan. I edited the "UNIX SVR4 Localization
Guideline" for UNIX International. I work on a Chinese version of UNIX SVR4
project. I added the input method support to it and later on port the SVR3.2
Chinese console code to SVR4 code base.

I write C/C++/JavaScript pretty well. Know Window/Linux/MacOS API pretty wel
on the text (display, input) area.
I wrote Java, COBOL, SQL, BASIC, Pascal, Forth, FORTRAN, DBII, ASM before,
but my knowledge about them are obsoleted.

I can write simple Perl code. Good enough to write powerful CGI but don't
know how to access database from it or use modules. My knowledge about
GTK/GDK/FreeType/Pango/Cocoa/Objective-C/Objective-C++ is very limited.
I have not learned C#, php, QT yet.

A lot of my paper could be found at
<A HREF="http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/">http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/</A>
Some of the old information I collected can be found at
<A HREF="http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/i18n.html">http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/i18n.html</A>
Some of the test cases I wrote for different international support could be
found at
<A HREF="http://people.netscape.com/ftang/testscript/">http://people.netscape.com/ftang/testscript/</A>

I closed 827 Mozilla bugs as today. Some are fixed some are invalid or
workforme.

Want to wrap up project SILA- see <A HREF="http://sila.mozdev.org">http://sila.mozdev.org</A>
also want to see more Bible web site on different languages use the cutting
edge web technology.

Not happy with those people who use old version of browsers because they
don't use the new code I wrote. :) Come on! upgrade it, it is FREE!!! .... :)

--part1_f9.2a25486e.2b8c939a_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">ok, since I am also new to the list. Let me say someth=
ing about myself.<BR>
<BR>
My name is Frank Yung-Fong Tang. I usually use email address ftang@netscape.=
com . I work for Netscape (and now part of AOL Time Waner) since Sept 1995.=20=
Before that I work for Apple Computer (1992-1995), and Institute for Informa=
tion Industry, Taiwan, ROC (1989-1991), Chinese Army (1987-1989). <BR>
<BR>
My skills is in Internationalization. I work in this field for 14 years. I h=
ad managed the "Text and Internationalization Engineering Group" for Netscap=
e Client developement from May 2000 till last Dec. Now I am back to Principa=
l software Engineer role. In my employement with Netscape, I first build the=
 Netscape 1.1i installer for Macintosh Japanese/French/German version. In Ne=
tscape 2.0 time frame I work on internationalization features in Mail and Ne=
ws and ensure the Mac version work for Chinese/Korean/Japanese. I planed the=
 Netscape UTF-8 support and roadmap when I work on the 2.0 version. In Netsc=
ape 3.0 time frame, I change the Mac/Window/Motif Java AWT to display Chines=
e/Japanese/Korean Unicdoe charand make sure it work properly to access data=20=
from HTML and display in Canvas as well as widget. In Netscape 4.0 time I ma=
inly working on international IMAP4 and NNTP support. I toke over the Window=
 Unicode display code from the other window intl engineer. I also help the d=
evelopement of WebFont on Window platform. In the Gecko/Mozilla developement=
, I start as the technical lead for Internationalization features. I persona=
lly designed/implemented the Unicode display code on Mac by using QuickDraw=20=
and ATSUI when ATSUI is still in very bad shape. I wrote most of the Unicode=
 converters in Gecko. I wrote the Line breaker and Word breaker for Gecko. I=
 arched the charset detector for Gecko. I intergrated the META charset obser=
ver and charset detector to Gecko's parser. I wrote most of the new CSS2 "li=
st-style-type" functions for Gecko I wrote the case conversion code for Geck=
o and intergrate it into the CSS text-transform code in layout. I toke over=20=
the Asian Input Method support work (Mac and Windows) from another engineer=20=
and change the prototype to product.&nbsp; I also kick off many collabration=
 projects for Mozilla/Gecko, including ask Sun Micro to work on Linux versio=
n's Input Method support, printing support, ask Intel to enhance Chinese con=
verters, ask individual contributor to add Armenian, Georgian, HongKong char=
set supports. Ask IBM to work on Bidi Support, etc.<BR>
<BR>
When I work on Netscape 2.0 way back in late 1995, I also wrote a perl versi=
on of Chinese Bible tool (currently <A HREF=3D"http://people.netscape.com/ft=
ang/BIBLE">http://people.netscape.com/ftang/BIBLE</A> ) I can claim this is=20=
the first Chinese Bible tool on internet because this is THE test cases Nets=
cape use to test Chinese support before we ship our first version which supp=
ort Chinese (Netscape 2.0). It probably is also the first Internet Bible too=
l since it is also used to test the FRAMESET support before we ship Netscaep=
 2.0. I won't claim it is the first ever Bible tool on Internet. <BR>
<BR>
Before joined Netscape, I work for Apple. I work on the Unicode converter du=
ring 1995. That project later became the Text Encoding Converter. <BR>
<BR>
When I work for III in Taiwan. I edited the "UNIX SVR4 Localization Guidelin=
e" for UNIX International. I work on a Chinese version of UNIX SVR4 project.=
 I added the input method support to it and later on port the SVR3.2 Chinese=
 console code to SVR4 code base.<BR>
<BR>
I write C/C++/JavaScript pretty well. Know Window/Linux/MacOS API pretty wel=
 on the text (display, input) area. <BR>
I wrote Java, COBOL, SQL, BASIC, Pascal, Forth, FORTRAN, DBII, ASM before, b=
ut my knowledge about them are obsoleted.<BR>
<BR>
I can write simple Perl code. Good enough to write powerful CGI but don't kn=
ow how to access database from it or use modules. My knowledge about GTK/GDK=
/FreeType/Pango/Cocoa/Objective-C/Objective-C++ is very limited.<BR>
I have not learned C#, php, QT yet. <BR>
<BR>
A lot of my paper could be found at <BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/">http://people.netscape.c=
om/ftang/paper/</A><BR>
Some of the old information I collected can be found at <BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/i18n.html">http://people.n=
etscape.com/ftang/paper/i18n.html</A><BR>
Some of the test cases I wrote for different international support could be=20=
found at <BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://people.netscape.com/ftang/testscript/">http://people.netsc=
ape.com/ftang/testscript/</A><BR>
<BR>
I closed 827 Mozilla bugs as today. Some are fixed some are invalid or workf=
orme. <BR>
<BR>
Want to wrap up project SILA- see <A HREF=3D"http://sila.mozdev.org">http://=
sila.mozdev.org</A><BR>
also want to see more Bible web site on different languages use the cutting=20=
edge web technology. <BR>
<BR>
Not happy with those people who use old version of browsers because they don=
't use the new code I wrote. :) Come on! upgrade it, it is FREE!!! .... :)<B=

<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_f9.2a25486e.2b8c939a_boundary--