[sword-devel] No more standards

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:30:46 +0100

>I do not want to be a trouble maker, but was that a "yes" or a "no" to using
>valid markup (X)HTML according to W3c web standards? If yes, what DOCTYPE?

I agree with Troy in this issue; I also think that at this moment
there is no further need to discuss which standards are going to be
used.

Compare it to writing a book. Right now, we are discussing whether the
cover should be done using four or six colours, that we absolutely
need to use a 10pt font to be compatible with everybody's eyes and
that some feel 120 g/m^2 paper is superior to 110 g/m^2
paper. However, we haven't talked about the story yet.

Let's look at what features we want, and what users. Let's develop a
few nice interfaces -- because it gives us a good idea what needs to
be in the project -- and _then_, once we have agreed on a rough idea
of what we want, talk about the technical framework we are operating
in (Did you ever notice how good Germans are at making long
sentences?). In the projects I worked in and/or helped to manage, I
learned that premature focus on technical issues can obstruct the view
on the _real_ problems.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"If God were a Kantian, who would not have us till we came to Him from
the purest and best motives, who could be saved?"
    -- C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain