[sword-devel] New to the List

Casey Cardwell sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:29:00 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01C2DC19.74280C70

Hello All,

I'm completely new to the list and to the Sword project, but very =
interested in lending a hand.  Most everything following is introduction =
from me to you, and can be skipped if you're not interested. =20

<INTRODUCTION>
I'm a senior in the Software Engineering major at the Oregon Institute =
of Technology (OIT), but am leaving that to pursue a degree or two in =
theology. =20

God has given me a gift for programming, but unfortuantely, I have a =
severe lack of interest in technology.  Thus I am extremely ignorant in =
regards to the standards and the lingo used when speaking of the modules =
and their development. =20

I am primarily a C++ Windows developer - This is where my real gift lies =
- so I can more than likely understand anything you tell me in =
"C++/Windows-Speak", but will be like a 4 year old when you try to =
explain the module encoding and whatnot.

My senior project at OIT is a Bible study system.  I've integrated a few =
Bible versions including a Greek new testament, Nave's Topical Textbook, =
the New Topical Textbook, Easton's Bible Dictionary, a names dictionary, =
3 commentaries, Titles and Cross-Refs, a Greek Lexicon and Concordance, =
and naturally all the searching, highlighting, notes, etc.  All of my =
resources have been found freely on-line (except for the NIV and NASB =
Bibles that I parsed off the net - I don't know if that was legal or not =
since I'm not distributing anything).  I've been experimenting with =
using Microsoft Access for my Bible resources, but have primarily =
decided against it and stuck with plain text resources. =20
</INTRODUCTION>

As I said, I'm interested in getting involved and contributing what I =
can, but I'm afraid that I'm quite ignorant about how these things work. =
 In this respect, I think I'll go about as far as anyone wants to help =
me with.

I also have a selfish desire to learn how to take some of the Sword =
modules and put them into plain text for use with my own personal =
development here at OIT.  If anyone is not too upset with me by this, I =
would be grateful to learn more - I am completely unwilling, however, to =
simply take what so many people have poured hours into without giving =
anything in return, if this is the case then I have not interest in =
pursuing it. =20

I hope that I can become a contributing member to the project - and thus =
hope that someone will be willing to tutor me a bit in how to get there.

Thanks a bunch!

God Bless!
-Casey

------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01C2DC19.74280C70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm completely new to the list and to =
the Sword=20
project, but very interested in lending a hand.&nbsp; Most everything =
following=20
is introduction from me to you, and can be skipped if you're not=20
interested.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;INTRODUCTION&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm a senior in the Software =
Engineering major at=20
the Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT), but am leaving that to pursue =
a degree=20
or two in theology.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>God has given me a gift for =
programming, but=20
unfortuantely, I have a severe lack of interest in technology.&nbsp; =
Thus I am=20
extremely ignorant in regards to the standards and the lingo used when =
speaking=20
of the modules and their development.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am primarily a C++ Windows developer =
- This is=20
where my real gift lies - so I can more than likely understand anything =
you tell=20
me in "C++/Windows-Speak", but will be like a 4 year old when you try to =
explain=20
the module encoding and whatnot.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My senior project at OIT is a Bible =
study=20
system.&nbsp; I've integrated a few Bible versions including a Greek new =

testament, Nave's Topical Textbook, the New Topical Textbook, Easton's =
Bible=20
Dictionary, a names dictionary, 3 commentaries, Titles and Cross-Refs, a =
Greek=20
Lexicon and Concordance, and naturally all the searching, highlighting, =
notes,=20
etc.&nbsp; All of my resources have been found freely on-line (except=20
for&nbsp;the NIV and NASB Bibles that I parsed off the net - I don't =
know if=20
that was legal or not since I'm not distributing anything).&nbsp; I've =
been=20
experimenting with using Microsoft Access for my Bible resources, but =
have=20
primarily decided against it and stuck with plain text resources.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;/INTRODUCTION&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I said, I'm interested in getting =
involved and=20
contributing what I can, but I'm afraid that I'm quite ignorant about =
how these=20
things work.&nbsp; In this respect, I think I'll go about as far as =
anyone wants=20
to help me with.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I also have a selfish desire to learn =
how to take=20
some of the Sword&nbsp;modules and put them into plain text for use with =
my own=20
personal development here at OIT.&nbsp; If anyone is not too upset with =
me by=20
this, I would be grateful to learn more - I am completely unwilling, =
however, to=20
simply take what so many people have poured hours into without giving =
anything=20
in return, if this is the case then I have not interest in pursuing =
it.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I hope that I can become a contributing =
member to=20
the project - and thus hope that someone will be willing to tutor me a =
bit in=20
how to get there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks a bunch!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>God Bless!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Casey</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01C2DC19.74280C70--