[sword-devel] Web Interface

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:32:53 EST

--part1_1d2.3746cfa.2b8ac235_boundary

In a message dated 2/23/2003 11:32:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
chrislit@crosswire.org writes:

> If Troy is going to do the implementation, I think the options are Java,
> C, and C++.  He seems to have religious objections to Perl and PHP. :)
> Since JSword is not at the level needed (most of the module drivers and
> filters still being absent I believe) I think you can probably expect
> something in C/C++.  It's just a guess, but I'd bet money on it (except
> that now Troy would implement in something else just to make me lose I'm
> sure).  So I think portability issues won't be any problem.

My suggestion is to use perl/php for fast prototype.  And then use C/C++ to
replace the implementation to speed up the performance. perl or php is very
good for fast prototyping, but I am sure it is not scaleable to huge amount
of user. But since we just start to develop this. It is ok to start prototype
with it. And once we find out it is too slow because there are too many
users, we can choose to to switch to use C/C++ to speed up the performance.

A good Bible software should also offer map. Not sure how many people check
my
<A HREF="http://chinesebiblesrc.sourceforge.net/maptest.html">http://chinesebiblesrc.sourceforge.net/maptest.html</A>

Wonder how can text base browser ever support map....

--part1_1d2.3746cfa.2b8ac235_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 2/23/2003 11:32:36 AM Pacific Stand=
ard Time, chrislit@crosswire.org writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">If Troy is going to do the impl=
ementation, I think the options are Java, <BR>
C, and C++.&nbsp; He seems to have religious objections to Perl and PHP. :)&=
nbsp; <BR>
Since JSword is not at the level needed (most of the module drivers and <BR>
filters still being absent I believe) I think you can probably expect <BR>
something in C/C++.&nbsp; It's just a guess, but I'd bet money on it (except=
 <BR>
that now Troy would implement in something else just to make me lose I'm <BR=

sure).&nbsp; So I think portability issues won't be any problem.</BLOCKQUOTE=
><BR>
<BR>
My suggestion is to use perl/php for fast prototype.&nbsp; And then use C/C+=
+ to replace the implementation to speed up the performance. perl or php is=20=
very good for fast prototyping, but I am sure it is not scaleable to huge am=
ount of user. But since we just start to develop this. It is ok to start pro=
totype with it. And once we find out it is too slow because there are too ma=
ny users, we can choose to to switch to use C/C++ to speed up the performanc=
e. <BR>
<BR>
A good Bible software should also offer map. Not sure how many people check=20=
my <BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://chinesebiblesrc.sourceforge.net/maptest.html">http://chine=
sebiblesrc.sourceforge.net/maptest.html</A><BR>
<BR>
Wonder how can text base browser ever support map....</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1d2.3746cfa.2b8ac235_boundary--