[sword-devel] Web Interface

Joachim Ansorg sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:23:13 +0100

Troy,

me and my brother spent some minutes on a possible layout and came up with
http://joachim.ansorgs.de/sword/. This is just a suggestion. The navigation
window is on the left. There can be multiple windows which are used to read a
module. The search would open a new window to browse the search result.

Basically it's like BibleTime's application design, which is pretty useful in
my opinion.
The display windows may have their own navigation, depending on the type of
the used module. For a genBook this would be a module navigation tree on the
left with links on each item to show the content of the node.

The only thing which works at the moment is to click on the WEB module link,
which opens a navigation window to read the text of a module.

And yes, it uses Javascript.
In a real world app I would try not to use Javascript, but sometime's it is
not possible not avoid it.

In my opinion it should be easy to use and powerful. This is hard to do.

Your idea about strong popups etc are good

On the technical part use JSP (or whatever) modules which do the whol stuff
for you, e.g. template systems which only get the content to merge it into a
static layout. This helps a lot, because other people which are better than
you in HTML design can make the pages and you fill in the content with your
scripts.

I hope it's a bit useful and others get better ideas,
Joachim