[sword-devel] Web Interface

Hugo van der Kooij sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:30:56 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 YTang0648@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/22/2003 8:08:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> infoChi@infomagic.net writes:
>
> > PHP is given out free, the same GPL style as we have but different, there
> > are many details to it. PHP is made for many different types of servers and
> > is very common.
>
> A browser which support ECMAScript/JavaScript which called Mozilla is also
> given out free, a different open source license, MPL,  is with it. Mozilla is
> made for many different types of client OS and is very common too. And beside
> it, Netscape7, AOL, CompuServ, IE , Opera, Phoneix, Chimera, Safari ALSO
> support JavaScript, CSS and DOM
>
> And if people still concern about using ECMAScript/JavaScript in the web
> interface because the browser they use is lack of the standard support, I am
> not sure people will happe with php since there are even no standard for php.
>
> I am not agaist the use of php. I am simply against the "no JavaScript
> please" because my browser do not support it request.
>
> Which TEXT based browser do not support JavaScript?

It seems you are not entirely informed. PHP can be completely transparant.
Wether or not valid HTML/XHTML/.... is generated is the programmers
responsibility.

But javascript is not an option for anyone using any of the following
browsers:
 - Lynx
 - w3m
 - links

Beyond that I see no point in adding javascript when all issues can be
handled very well without them.

We want to be accessible to all. While a text browser works for blind
using a brialle ruler, using frames and/or javascript makes it completely
inaccessable to them.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.