[sword-devel] Web Interface

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:59:22 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: YTang0648@aol.com
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Web Interface

>>Therefore, if you want to talk about standard, you really need to DEFINE
the set of standards you are talking about.

I did. XHTML and CSS.

http://www.w3.org/

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/

The web standards I am talking about are not as fluid as you indicate. there
is a book coming out soon entitled,  "Forward Compatibility: Designing &
Building With Standards" by Jeffrey Zeldman
Here is a chapter excerpt that is very worth reading:
http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2002-09.shtml

When we do get to the UI, I'd strongly suggest tableless layout.
http://www.w3.org/2002/11/homepage
http://www.w3.org/2002/03/csslayout-howto

My suggestion to use web standards does not answer all the questions. That
is just a basic starting point that I believe needs to be set as a ground
rule before design elements are discussed. The current Sword Project site
uses non-standard, invalid markup and I'd like to not fall into the same
pitfall on a web front-end of Sword itself.

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org