[sword-devel] Strong's dictionaries

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 15:13:02 -0700

I have made a correction to the Strong's Hebrew dictionary on bf.org
(str4olbd.zip).<br>
I have changed:<br>
08483<br>
&nbsp;8383 Tachtiym Chodshiy takh-teem' khod-shee'<br>
to:<br>
08483<br>
&nbsp;8483 Tachtiym Chodshiy takh-teem' khod-shee' <br>
Are both numbers, 08483 and 8483, needed for the SWORD Project version of
these files,? The &quot;see HEBREW for&quot; and &quot;see GREEK
for&quot; info can probably be deleted.&nbsp; The first number for each
entry and the &quot;see HEBREW for&quot; and &quot;see GREEK for&quot; at
the end of each entry, were added by Michael Grier to make it easier to
import the entries into programs and automatically create links. He also
expanded the abbreviations. <br>
So: if you look at 08483 (uncorrected) in BibleCS you see:<br>
&lt;<br>
08483:<br>
&nbsp;8383&nbsp; Tachtiym Chodshiy&nbsp; takh-teem' khod-shee' apparently
from the plural masculine of 8482 or 8478 and 2320; lower (ones) monthly;
Tachtim-Chodshi, a place in Palestine:--Tahtim-hodshi. see HEBREW for
08482 see HEBREW for 08478 see HEBREW for 02320 <br>
&gt;<br>
The actual entry in Storng's is:<br>
&lt;<br>
khod-shee'</i>; appar. from the plur. masc. of 8482 or 8478 and 2320;
Pal.:--Tahtim-hodshi. <br>
&gt;<br>
As you can see, the &quot;see&quot; info is redundant and we don't need
them. The numbers in the original text could be made to work fine for
pop-ups and dictionary lookups. Getting rid of the redundant info would
make for cleaner pop-ups. <br>
It would also be nice to restore the missing Hebrew and Greek, add the
missing punctuation, and restore the bold and Italic fonts. I will
volunteer to remove the &quot;see&quot; info and one of the leading
Strong's numbers from each entry (let me know which one). Let me know if
you want that done. Then if we could put the files online to have others
add the Greek and Hebrew and make the other corrections that would be
great. We don't have Thayer anymore so it would be good to fix this one
up.<br>
Jerry&nbsp; <br>