[sword-devel] OSIS Tags

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:47:03 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> 2) I think the numbers in the WH text above the standard strongs range
> were Online Bible Morphology tags.  So I think the 5631 number is above
> the standard range and means something in regard to the parsing of the
> word.  It isn't a Robinson code, so x-Robinson:5631 would not be
> appropriate.  I'm not sure we have a name for them, but maybe something
> like x-Thayer:5631 might work.  I'm sure someone (Chris) has a better
> suggestion on how to handle these.  It might be suggested to just remove
> them since There is also robinson's codes for each, and they are much
> more informative.
>
> So in summary, my suggestion would be:
>
> ...<w lemma="x-Strongs:G1452" morph="x-Robinson:V-2AAP-NSM
> x-Thayer:5631">...

x-Thayer wouldn't be good either.  Thayer certainly didn't come up with
this system, Larry Pierce did.  I think we have used something like
x-StrongsMorph in the past for these.

However, for purely pragmatic reasons, I would recommend just deleting
them.  As Troy says, they convey more information.  They can also be
parsed by normal human beings.  And, perhaps most importantly, it's very
unlikely we will ever release anything that explains what these codes
mean, so they would only confuse users.

--Chris