[sword-devel] Bereans and Sword and GPL vs PD [uncle ... LcdBible is now GPL licensed]

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:02:02 -0600

Lynn Allan wrote:
> The LcdBible software is now licensed as GPL on sourceforge.net.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdbible

Looks good.  Thanks, Lynn.

> I believe it was *almost* eligible to be a "Sword-frontend" because it uses
> the sword-api to access verses from ./sword/modules/texts/rawtext/*.*
> (actually an "experimental plug-in subset" that I am optimistic will be
> accepted for CVS as supported class CanonVersifier)
>
> I believe its GPL license now makes it eligible to apply for being a
> "Sword-frontend".

Just to be clear, there's no official Sword frontend status.  Just let
us know when you think the project is at a reasonably feature-complete
state and and you think it's ready for public consumption.  Then we'll
go through the webpages and place the appropriate links.  Something you
would label a 1.0 release might be a good milestone to have in mind, but
it doesn't necessarily need to be a 1.0.

Anyway, at the moment, I would not consider LcdBible a Sword frontend
because it doesn't really use Sword, it just uses some Sword code.
Unenciphered RawText Bibles are a vanishing breed.  Everything new will
be released as zText.  And any time an old Bible is updated, it will be
released as zText, with the old version being removed.  Additionally, as
Troy mentioned, NASB95 is coming.  That means the cipher code is really
a necessity.  (We don't want people buying the NASB and then finding out
that the frontend they intended to use it with doesn't actually support
it.  This might constitute a good reason to actually establish a
frontend certification process.)

The other thing is that it would be *nice* if LcdBible could handle
stuff other than Bibles.  Even if you don't want to add new interface
components to handle LD & GenBook modules, you should still provide for
commentaries since they require a negligible amount of additional code.
  (If commentaries are already handled, you can ignore this.)

> I am not clear what it means to "mention crosswire as the copyright holder".
> I would appreciate clarification. What rights, if any, do I retain? What
> rights, if any, do I forfeit?

As David said, you keep the copyright on LcdBible.  CrossWire just owns
the copyright on Sword code.  I think Martin was talking about putting
copyright attributions on that Sword code.  I don't know how
consistently we have done this ourselves with our own code.  Mentioning
CrossWire/The SWORD Project in any documentation or about pages would be
a nice courtesy, but I don't think it's obligatory.  Something like what
the (original) BSD advertising clause required is definitely NOT
required of GPL.

--Chris