[sword-devel] P.D. Issue

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:26:09 EST

Lynn,
I do not presume to speak for the Sword Project, but here is how I see the
situation.

Corporations are always looking for more profit potential.
They already have mechanisms in place for production, distribution, and
marketing.
If anything of value such at the sword api were placed in the public domain
they would quickly grab it, make a few changes, claim copyright, produce,
distribute, and market the software. But that is not to say that it is wrong for
there to be profit from such things, as funds must come from somewhere. But
those funds should remain in their proper place, not some huge corporations bank
account. Since money sitting in the bank does not publish the Gospel, feed the
hungry, etc.

Anyway, I do not think that making a request is unreasonable. But, we should
respect not just the gpl, but the guidance of the people that have created
this project. And I am not saying ignore the gpl, but that even if the gpl would
permit something that Crosswire would request not be done, then respect their
request.

However, if you still feel so strongly about such code being in the public
domain, you could start from scratch. You can acquire content from CCEL, The
Unbound Bible, the Byzantine website, etc. There is nothing wrong with diversity,
I believe that people have different ways of doing things, and that can bring
about new ideas. Or that you may see a need that someone else misses, while
you may fail to see a need that they recognized. You could also contribute to
the Sword Project at the same time. Not forgetting that these people have a
great deal of combined experience and to presume that one who has less experience
has more understanding of the situation, is probably inaccurate.

And of course the most important thing is Inspiration (according to it's true
meaning). If you recognize this project as being Inspired then you must
recognize that GOD is guiding it's course.

If I have put my nose where it does not belong, or added fuel to the fire, I
am truly sorry.
David