[sword-devel] Search results - scoring

Stephen Denne sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:57:41 +1300

Hi Troy,

I've thought about that a bit more, I remembered before I posted that
clucene was being used, but I don't know how it operates, so the following
comments are still from the perspective of someone who hasn't read all the
code yet...

Instead of applying a weighting, you could restrict the text being searched.
This mechanism could probably be used to search atributes like strongs
numbers too, or finding references to a particular verse within a
commentary.

By using a weighting instead of restricting the searched text, you would
still find occurances of what you were looking for in other places, eg a
footnote may refer to a strongs number, that wasn't tagged as one. Finding
alternate readings during a text search could be set with footnotes having a
lower weighting.

GUI design could be along the lines of:

_Weightings_
Words of Christ:    o Excluded      o Normal        o Desired
Footnotes:            o Excluded      o Normal        o Desired
Textual Variants:   o Excluded      o Normal        o Desired

Actually... this has gven me another GUI design idea: These options would be
better placed together with the current options for whether you wish to have
these features turned on or off. I don't like these as menus, but I realise
that menus are perhaps easier to create dynamically in response to which
features are in the modules. Instead of menus, a pop-up window could have
all the options listed, with a check box & radio buttons for each option.
This window should be available from the main window, and from the search
window.

Feature			Shown			_Search Weightings_
					Exclude	Low	Normal	Desired
Words of Christ:		On		o	o	o	x
Footnotes:		On		o	o	x	o
Textual Variants:	All		o	x	o	o
Strong's Numbers	Off		x	o	o	o
etc.

You could maybe add an "Exclusive" column too, resulting in searching only
the features with that ticked.

Just some ideas, sorry if this attempt at textual formatting doesn't show up
correctly with your font selection and tab stop settings.

Stephen.
--
Datacute - Acute Information Revelation Tools
http://www.datacute.co.nz/