[sword-devel] Radically simpler Bible software: more feasible to internationalize (looking for volunteers)

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:22:17 -0700

Mea culpa,

> Did you change the options | preferences | language to french? Admittedly
> there is no fr.conf in (my) uilocales.d directory, but I still end up with
> french names for books, and if I change the language to one of the
languages
> that does have a translation file (such as German), nearly everything else
> changes too.

With a red face, I admit I was unaware of the option to specify the use of
French. I should have "Read The Manual" before posting. Steven D., you were
very kind and gentle in the way you pointed out the "error of my ways." I
will try to do better in the future.

However .......
I find it interesting that yours was the only one of several posts to
mention this option. Is this option news to others?

As a group that many people might be inclined to describe as "a bunch of
techies ... poor blokes" :-),  we need to be *VERY* aware that "civilians"
have difficulties with options and concepts that seem obvious to techies.
(I'm more of a techie wannabe or techie used-to-be)

Another point:
Granted that the word "Transliteration" can be translated to French. THE
POINT was that the documentation should also be available in French. That
would be a job.

As an "old newbie" (if that makes sense) coming up on my 35th high school
reunion, I admit to having almost no idea of what "Tranliteration" involves.
Without Help notes in French, I speculate that a French end-user would
wonder what is going on. Yeah, they can probably figure it out if they put
some neurons and effort and time into it, but .....

Similarily, my time on the sword-support front lines reveals to me that I am
not the only one confused by how BibleCS handles the mysteriously labelled
tab, "Parallel". People who can coherently hold up their end of a
conversation past 8:00 p.m. might not have the disorientation I experienced,
but I would submit that the documentation for "Parallel" would have to also
be in French to make this functionality usable. Yeah, they can probably
figure it out if they put some neurons and effort and time into it, but

Sharing the reason for the season,
http://learningcards.eeworks.org/EeCard01.html

Lynn A.
l.allan@att.net