[sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI.html

Simon Lagendijk sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:42:35 +0100

Hi Lynn Alan, and the rest of the Sword-devel list reading this,

Thanks for your reply. I think you've got a really good point by making
bible software that also runs on a poor mans computer...

One of the features for our new bible software is the possibility to
execute a command from the command prompt of Linux or Windows, like for
example "Bible.exe -p Mat.1" prints Matthew 1 on the screen (just plain
text output on the screen, which can be scrolled in by piping the output
to more). I only have to figure out if there is a GNU C++ Compiler
available for DOS, read some info about the differences between
programming for a 32bit and a 16bit PC, and get 2 old machines somewhere
(a 386 and a 0088 or 286 or something like that, with really small
memory, like 4MB for the 386, and less than 1MB for the 286).

I don't think that feature will replace the need of a program like the
LCDBible, because we're planning to use wxWindows as GUI framework,
which isn't optimalized for running on slow computers. But, sharing
source code, where possible, would be nice!

As said before, I don't know lot's about the differences between 32bit
and 16bit programming, so maybe the following question will be extremely
stupid (forgive me if it is). But can the code of the Sword Engine be
compiled to run on a 16bit pc, like for example a 286?

My friend and I are currently working on some documentation about the
design (a simple class-diagram and a description of each class in text),
I hope to have that finished at the end of this week. I think a
discussion about design is easier when there is a draft design available.

With kind regards,

Simon