[sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 12:10:48 -0700 (MST)

You might consider teaming up with the group who are already working on a
wxWindows interface to Sword.  I'm not sure what their current status is,
but they have working code.  You can grab their existing code (as well as
their Win32 binary) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/christiangame.
They also have a mailing list on crosswire called wxsword-devel, but you
should probably get in touch with Jason Turner (lefticus) through
sourceforge first, if it looks like you're interested in collaboration.

Simon Lagendijk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A friend an I have the idea of making a new Bible tool, mainly aimed at
> Windows users, because for Linux there are 2 nice Sword-based tools
> available. We want to the program to run on at least Windows and Linux.
> The code will be released under the GNU licence (or another OpenSource
> licence, I don't know the differences between all those licences for
> OpenSource software, so I'd have to figure out that first, before
> choosing one).

If you're thinking of using Sword itself (statically or dynamically
linked) or intend to support Sword modules by re-implementing our drivers,
using our code as a spec, (which I would strongly recommend against
attempting), I suppose that removes the need to decide on a license, since
these would obligate you to follow the GPL and release your work under the
same license.

> Are there any design-diagrams of Sword available, I mean Data Flow
> Diagrams or UML or something like that? That maybe would save us some
> time in the design phase...
>
> I don't know if the auhors of Sword for Windows, BibleTime and
> GnomeSword are reading this, but if they do: Do you mind if we use some
> idea's of your GUI for our program (I'm not very good at designing User
> Interfaces)?
>
> Is it possible to compile the Sword Engine in a DLL?

Yes, but it's pretty much discouraged.  (Binary compatability between
releases is not guaranteed in the dev branch.)

> We are searching for some OpenSource software development tools. I think
> the most likely to use are the GNU C++ Compiler (MinGW) with the
> wxWindows framework, but I haven't worked with wxWindows before, so
> please can someone tell us if it can easely be used for the task we want
> (i.e. creating a professional looking, multiplatform GUI)?
>
> We also want to support OSIS documents (not only Sword-modules
> containing OSIS markup, but real OSIS documents). Is OSIS 2.0, as
> described on http://www.bibletechnologies.net/, the latest version? Will
> future releases of the OSIS specification be backwards compatible?

There appears to be a 2.0.1 at
http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.0.1.xsd.  Unless we find some
huge mistake that we completely overlooked, you can assume OSIS releases
beyond 2.0 will be more or less backwards compatible.  Each iteration of
OSIS generally builds upon the previous ones.  Those elements, attributes,
etc. of previous versions that need to be removed are simply deprecated in
the a new release and scheduled for removal in the following release.

However, I would strongly recommend against trying to use OSIS documents
directly in an interface unless you build external indices (which is
precisely what Sword does).