[sword-devel] Proposed parent/contained class for VerseKey: CanonVersifier?

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:44:20 -0600

The original system (from before I was around, but I could see vestiges
of it when I joined) did essentially what you suggest, from a
versification perspective.  Each version defined its own versification,
held in .cps and .bks files.  (That's what those are for, if any of you
have noticed the.)  We'll need to expand its power a little, to handle
adding new books as well as just new chapters & verses.  I still think
we should keep a closed canon to the perspective of users and module
creators, though it would be considerably more easily extended than it
currently is, in case we want to expand our canon of biblical books to
incorporate texts like 1Enoch, the Shepherd of Hermas, and Laodiceans
(which are included in the Ethiopic Orthodox canon, Codex Sinaiticus,
and Vulgate respectively--for those who would challenge this).

--Chris