[sword-devel] Strong's Greek & Hebrew, and indexed word search

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:24:13 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Justin Long wrote:

> On Saturday 23 August 2003 01:33 pm, Justin Long wrote:
> > 1) There is a STrong's built into a KJV version with the Sword Engine.
> > HOwever there doesn't seem to be Strong's the other way - e.g. for a
> > specific word, listing all the Scriptures where the word occurs. Has this
> > been built? Will it be built?
>
> I don't mean all the KJV, I just mean a reverse of what is presently
> available in the KJV. Like what Crosswalk.com does with the Strong's
> concordance there. Instead of showing, in a particular verse, the Strong's
> #s for each of the individual words, the ability to look at a Strong's entry
> and find all the verses where it occurs. It should be a simple matter of
> doing the reverse task on the index.

Just do a search on the basis of a Strong's number.  I think concordances
in software are just silly.  That's what search is for.

Do others feel like this is an important feature?  We could possibly add
a new module for this, but I'm not sure which GNT we would use as a basis
in the Greek portion.  And the Hebrew might have to be based on the KJV
itself rather than a Hebrew text.

> > 2) I did a word search on the whole Bible and it took a while for the
> > search to be finished. Has someone indexed the words... because it didn't
> > seem to be an indexed search, but more like a full text search.

The modules are not indexed.  There's an indexing implementation, but it
doesn't improve the speed all that much.  Our full text search beats a
number of indexed implementations in other software.  Of course, it will
be more sensitive to your hard drive performance (speed & caching), as
well as your OS's caching performance, than indexed searches.

I think we've had some volunteers to work on indexed searching.  But we
tend to get a lot more people who volunteer to do work than who actually
do any.

--Chris