[sword-devel] Chinese

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:17:15 -0700

In my opinion Chinese should be considered as if every
character were a separate independant word, for the
purposes of indexing for quick searching.  Then if you can
also search for exact phrases and a phrase search is the
"default operator" when you specify nothing between the
words, then that becomes easy and natural to search for
compound words (some words are made up of multiple smaller
words in Chinese) as they can be treated internally as if
they were phrases of words.  All that would remain is to
detect word boundaries at the edges of spaces for western
language words (well, technically, at the edges of western
letter groupings, in case it's mixed with punctuation or
chinese) and for every character in Chinese.

Anyway, that's my opinion on how a simple ideal Chinese
Bible search system could work.  I realize implementation
is not always so easy, so I won't fret if it doesn't happen
this way, but ya gotta start with an ideal goal or you'll
never get there...

Dave