[sword-devel] Evidence Bible - was An awesome Bible

Dave Washburn sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:36:39 -0600

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 16:20, Andrej Ricnik wrote:
> >Aramaic?  Yo creo que no!), and Paul was raised in Tarsus where he would
> >have
> >grown up hearing Greek more than Aramaic or Hebrew.  Luke was a Gentile
> > and so Greek was probably his native tongue.  The only NT writer who
> > really seems
> >to have major trouble with Greek grammar is John in Revelation.  That
> > said, I
>
> I guess being a scholar of classical Greek (having been, I'm losing it) I'm
> setting my mark too high, then ... I found Pauls Greek shocking :)

Correct.  It's not classical Greek any more than Chaucer is equivalent to the
way people talk in New Orleans or Minneapolis.  Paul's Greek was the educated
man's common talk of his day.  Judging it by Attic standards is both unfair
and unproductive.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur