[sword-devel] Re: [sword-support] An awesome Bible

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:22:52 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Victor Porton wrote:

> On 30-Apr-2003 Chris Little wrote:
> > If anyone is interested in our adding this Bible, please go ahead and
> > write to the author for permission and (hopefully) some source files
> > other
> > than the PDFs.  I don't think it's going to be possible to base a module
> > off of the PDFs themselves.  I don't see any problem with our providing
> > this text.  And if whoever asks doesn't want to or feel capable of making
> > the module himself, I would be happy to do so.
>
> Could we use scanner software on PDF files (or page images produced from
> PDF by GhostScript).

It's not an issue of getting the data out of the PDFs.  They're not
protected or anything, so Acrobat can export the contents to XHTML, XML,
HTML, or other formats.  But the PDFs are formatted with double columns
plus a footnote area plus sidebars, so it makes the resulting exported
text sufficiently inconsistent that it would have to be proof-read in its
entirety.  If we had a source document, even just a Word document, it
would make it much easier.

--Chris