[sword-devel] Evidence Bible - was An awesome Bible

Dave Washburn sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:30:32 -0600

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 12:49, David's Mailing-list and Spam Receiver
wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2003 05:47 pm, Dave Washburn wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Gentile and so Greek was probably his native tongue.  The only NT writer
> > who really seems to have major trouble with Greek grammar is John in
> > Revelation.  That said, I think the above writer meant "colloquial" as
> > opposed to Attic, which is in fact true of NT Greek.
>
> From what I understand John's gospel also makes classical Greek (as opposed
> to kione or however it's spelled) scholars shudder. But this makes sense if
> the apostle John was the original author of the gospel since he was in all
> likelihood illiterate.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that he was "in all likelihood
illiterate," but most likely Greek was a second language to him even by the
time he had spent several years in Ephesus, so his Greek may have been a
little shaky.  And since he was writing Koine, it really doesn't matter what
classical Greek scholars think of it.  That's a little like comparing
Shakespearean English to Brooklyn colloquial.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur