[sword-devel] apocrypha.h

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:22:04 -0700 (MST)

apocrypha.h is done & in CVS.  There are, of course, issues, many of which
are detailed inside of apocrypha.h itself.  I invite your collective input
on these matters:

Sirach:
Sirach consists of 51 numbered chapters plus a prologue, which may or may
not be versified itself, depending on your Bible (NRSVA does not versify
it).  Should we say that Sirach has 52 chapters then?  or Should we say it
has 51 chapters and put the prologue in the prologue/heading/foreword
slot?  The second option seems viable, but in the future, we may need to
make Prologue the first chapter (the others following, numbered 1-51) for
other versification schemes.

Baruch/Letter of Jeremiah:
In some versification schemes, Baruch has 5 chapters and the Letter of
Jeremiah has 1 chapter (named chapter 1).  In other versification schemes
(including the NRSVA), Baruch has 5 chapters and the Letter of Jeremiah
has 1 chapter (named chapter 6).  In still other versification schemes, we
may find Baruch with 6 chapters and no mention of an independent Letter of
Jeremiah.  Which one do we pick? Do we go with a 6-chaptered Baruch where
the 6th chapter always maps into chapter 1 or 6 of the Letter of Jeremiah?

Esther/Additions to Esther:
Hebrew Esther has 10 chapters (numbered consequtively).  Greek Esther has
16 chapters (not numbered consequtively because the additions are not all
located at the end, but the 10 Hebrew chapters are numbered the same).
"Additions to Esther" has 6 chapters numbered A through F.  How do we
handle chapters numbered with letters?  How do we deal with someone who
requests Esther chapter 14, when that maps to Hebrew Esther, which only
has 10 books?

Psalms of Solomon/1 Enoch/Jubilees:
For these, I based versification information on both the LXX (for PssSol)
and Charles' APOT (for the other two), comparing with Charlesworth's OTP,
and increasing verse counts where necessary to allow inclusion of all
verses in either text.  So the versification represented is native to no
single version.  Should I adjust them to match a single versification and
leave the adjustments to be handled by multiple versification support
later?

Psalm 151:
Psalm 151 is going to confuse the verse parser, which will try to look up
chapter 151 of Psalms, rather than chapter 151 (or 1?) of the book "Psalm
151".

--Chris