[sword-devel] HELP WANTED

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:08:02 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> ESV
> source is custom XML and includes footnotes and crossrefs in external
> files that need to be sync'd to base text file.

Since I've got this mostly completed, I'll take dibs on this task.  I
would also like to take a look at all the other Bibles we're doing for
people before they get released, even if others in CrossWire/Sword do the
conversions.  (But any of these conversions that don't get claimed, I
would be happy to do.)

> Engine Work:
>
> We need a new include file: apocrypha.h in the same line as canon.h  The
> table data is really the bulk of the work, so if you have a printed
> Bible with the apocrypha and can add the Book, Chapter, Verse data into
> the table format, as it is in canon.h, please consider this task.  It
> need not even compile.  I'll incorporate it into the engine once the
> data is in place.

I would like to take this task as well.  It does raise the versification
issue, however, since there are many different ways to versify the
Apocrypha, and we're going to have to decide on one as the basis then
decide on how to manage variants from that.  (It gets kind of tricky
because KJV has one versification but Catholic Bibles have another; we've
typically used KJV, yet Catholics are more likely to want these texts than
KJV-readers. Then there is the issue of partial book aliases: eg.
AddEsther = part of Esther, EpJer = part of Baruch, Bel = part of Daniel,
etc.)

For the moment I will use the NRSVA as the primary versification since
that is the OSIS recommendation, but I'll have to dig up some other
sources for those books excluded from the NRSVA that are either considered
apocryphal or canonical by various churches but are included within
"Bibles" (e.g. Laodiceans & 1 Enoch).

I should have both of these tasks completed today or tomorrow.

--Chris