[sword-devel] reversed BHS

Dave Washburn sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:32:32 -0600

On Monday 07 April 2003 13:01, Chris Little wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Dave Washburn wrote:
> > Here's my question that I was hoping to find the answer to there: since
> > gnomesword can't display the BHS Hebrew text from right to left, I wonder
> > if it would be feasible to make a separate module of it with the internal
> > text reversed.  Or perhaps someone is already working on this?  I know I
> > could just use the KDE program, but I'd prefer to stick with one program
> > and Gnome is my desktop of choice.....
>
> No, CrossWire will never release a module that intentionally violates the
> Unicode standard (such as this would).

I'm not sure how creating a text that is written in its original direction
violates the standard, but I don't know much about Unicode either so that
doesn't say much.

If the renderer that GnomeSword
> uses does not automatically apply BiDi algorithms, the UTF8BiDiReorder
> filter may be applied to do so within Sword before text is sent to the
> renderer.

Gnomesword uses gtkhtml as I recall (I'm not a programmer), which so far can't
do R2L. How does one go about applying this filter?  Remember I'm not a
programmer, and please be as specific as possible so I can pass it on to the
gnomesword developers and users?  Thanks!

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur