[sword-devel] Here's Our Chance: Copyright Negotations

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:35:24 +0100

On 18 Sep 2002 at 4:19, Jonathan Hughes sent forth the message:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> 	I am encouraged by all of this conversation over what we should do.
> Here are some of my 2 cent thoughts. The thing that I think about is how
> much control do we want over the distributing of the texts. This all
> revolves around the economic aspects of distributing texts. If we host a
> payment site at crosswire.org then I believe we have more of a say in
> how much the modules will be sold for. We would be like a reseller.
> However if we simply made text available in formats that can be used
> with the SWORD Projects software and give those to the publishers and
> Bible societies then it will be simply be at their will, the price they
> charge. Is this a fight we want to be in is a good questions to ask? I
> would like to see translation modules that are afordable for anyone.
> Idealy it would be nice to have them completely free so that the largest
> amount of people can have them.

With commercial stuff only a small percentage of the payment (well under 50%) will go to the
copyright owner (which in the end is generally fair because everyone has costs). If we, as
volunteers, take 0% then that leaves 100% for them so they can afford to have it cheaper
anyway.
I'm not sure that hosting the payment site would give us any more leverage except if other sites
take a large % to process the payment.

> 	We have some of the South African translations already in our
> library...so the first step would be to simply use those and distribute
> them.

great :) I forgot about that kind of thing, makes it a lot easier to start.

> 	Does anyone have specific ideas of partnerships we can forge to get a
> central payment site setup, maybe something that we don't run but we are
> in partnership with and can provide a platform for payment that the
> Bible societies can use? (Daniel Glassey I did get your e-mail on a site
> that you had in mind) Thanks for any direction that you can bring.

Something to bear in mind is that given that this is the South African Bible Society - whatever
payment method is used ought to be able to accept the S.A. Rand as well as the U.S. Dollar so
that S.A. buyers won't have foreign exchange costs on top of the rest.

Regards,
Daniel