[sword-devel] GPL and non GPL

Leon Brooks sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:36:08 +0800

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:46, Chris Little wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Leon Brooks wrote:

>>> I think you missed the point.  We can't put something under LGPL that
>>> is non-GPL.

>> Freeware can be GPLed; BSD code can be GPLed with a rider enforcing the
>> acknowledgement terms a la BSD.

> My apologies. I mis-stated that.  What I meant was that we can't put
> something under LGPL that IS GPL.

Sorry, but I'm still confused. Didn't you just finish arguing that there was
no practical difference between GPL and LGPL?

> That's why we need to get rid of GPL
> stuff in our library for which we do not ourselves hold the copyright.

Hmmm. Perhaps there's a little more context hovering around the fringes of
this proposition that somehow I missed. Can you think of any hidden
assumptions or missing background information that might help me to
understand?

AFAICT, the only standing reason for aceing GPLed modules would be to replace
them with more functional ones. In this case, a regex which understands
UTF-8, hopefully also full UniCode, and might even be faster and more POSIXly
correct into the bargain seems in order, one which is either (L)GPL or can be
converted to same in order to preserve its freedom.

Cheers; Leon